Post by crusssdaddy on Jan 6, 2011 19:58:26 GMT -6
Here is the starting location map - Kalamir & The Old Mother. Parts of this region are well known enough to you all so that you can compile this rough map of the surrounding environs. Some brief notes:
1. This is an interface area, where civilization and the wild meet. Men from Kalamir and Halflings from the south hold sway over the river, roads, mines, and populated areas. Gnomes hold the hills in the NW. Humanoids can be found in modest quantities throughout, in some places mixing openly with humans and demi-humans in rough-&-tumble frontier towns and forts. Use the Wild West as a rough analogy.
2. The mines contain all sorts - active mines, deserted ones, those abandoned due to being overrun by monsters, etc. Heavy patrols from Kalamir try to keep the peace, but banditry is rife. Most of the mines are worked by slaves, and slavers prowl here looking for new stock, humanoids preferred.
3. Bugbear homelands are far to the east. Gnoll homelands are far to the south east. Ogre homelands are far to the north. Hobgoblin homelands are near to the east, but they are generally antagonistic towards all others. Kobolds can be found in large numbers deep beneath almost all mountains & hills. The empire of the Xvarts is far to the south. Orcs are not far to the north and northwest.
4. Goblins no longer have a homeland. Ages ago, they had a vast empire. Today, they are scattered and at odds. Some tribes have tried to integrate into the cities, with varying amounts of success - best case scenario is a thriving ghetto. Others have stayed within the dark places of the earth. and some degenerated into animalistic barbarity, becoming the Feral Goblins.
5. The cultivated lands surrounding Kalamir are hostile to humanoids, but Kalamir is open to all who can abide by their laws. Many humanoids arrive via the barges that ply the river, and there is a ramshackle Goblin Quarter.
6. The swamp and hills to the south are dim, dreary, and deadly. Unknown horrors assuredly stalk those lands.
7. The Maggot Woods are infested with Feral Goblins, who attack anything that moves within that twilight forest.
8. The Halflings to the southwest hate all humanoids, and patrols will be dispatched to attack trangressors on sight.
9. The Old Mother is a mystery. Is is the tallest mountain for thousands of miles, and rumor has it that it was a powerful center of the former Goblin empire. The forests that surround it are haunted by weird beasts and aggressive Forest Elves.
10. The open areas to the east of the river are well-traveled by various humanoid bands & tribes.
11. The forest east of Bargeguard Keep is haunted by Faerie Folk.
12. Bargeguard Keep is the source of abundant anti-humanoid activity - heavy patrols, slavers, bloodthirsty human adventurers, etc.