Post by tombowings on Mar 13, 2023 3:49:06 GMT -6
You have lived among the shadows, surrounded by stone, raised in chains since birth. For as long as you can remember, your life has been spent chained to the same rocky partition. From behind the partition, fires shine their flickering illumination – the only light you have ever known. Yet you have never seen the flames.
What you know of the world outside your cave comes to you from the shadows cast by the flames behind the partitions. All, except for the misshaped, degenerate savages, who bring tasteless gruel in rough clay bowls and carry away the dead.
You have no sense of day or night. Time is monotonous expanse, punctuated by brief periods of sleep. In dream, however, you have seen flashes of color unknown to your waking reality. A voice in your mind whispers that there must be something more. Something beyond the cavern, perhaps even beyond the cavern walls that define your existence.
The campaign begins when, after rising from sleep, you discover that the chains that bind your wrists and ankles have disappeared. The manacles remain, but for the first time in your life, you are free to move around. Your existence is yours. Make of it what you please.
• Plato’s Phaedo, Republic, and Timaeus
• Dante’s Divine Comedy
• The Works of William Shakespeare (Twelfth Night, the Merchant of Venice, and King Lear, among others)
• Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene
• Geoffrey McKenny’s Isle of the Unknown & Dungeon of the Unknown
Notable House Rules (LLB OD&D):
• All characters advance as fighting-men.
• Magic can by learned by any character through diligent study from magicians and spell books.
• Experience will be awarded for exploration, in addition to gold spent.
• Fatigue imparts a -3 to all d20 rolls; exhaustion imposes a -6 to all d20 rolls.
Honestly, this is one of the stranger ideas I've had. Anyone interested in giving it a go?