Post by darien on Jan 26, 2016 7:07:35 GMT -6
Alright guys, earlier I mentioned wanting to make a retro-clone of Vampire: The Masquerade First Edition from 1991, and I am thinking of running a play by post game on here (assuming it's okay with the mods) both to hone my skills as an inexperienced rookie GM and to get a feel for the older system for my homebrew retro-clone of Vampire that I am working on. I have a text-only PDF of the Vampire corebook. We will only be using the 1e/2e corebook (I will post a simplified version of the 1e/2e rules and core materials in a separate thread, as these simplified rules will form the basis of my retro-clone).
I really want to go for the open-ended and mysterious haunting feel of early White Wolf, before the metaplot became prominent and ruined everything in my opinion. My game in particular is influenced somewhat by anime and manga, but only in a minor capacity. The early Gothic-Punk feel of early White Wolf will also be retained but downplayed.
The thing is, I've never actually GM'd a play-by-post game, at least not one that used traditional RPG mechanics (I have ran a few small freeform PbP RP's) and I'm wondering how that would work. Would I create a character as well like in the freeform games? Or would that be in bad form?
Anyway, here's the basics of my game....
1. The setting is the fictional city of Reedington, Virginia in the late 1990s/early 2000s, or approximately 1998-2001. Reedington is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and is loosely based on the real-life city of Roanoke, VA (as well as the neighboring areas of Roanoke County, the city of Salem, and the town of Vinton)
2. Players will be neonate vampires embraced within the past one to fifteen years.
3. The other supernatural creatures of the World of Darkness will be present, but in the proto-forms they had in Vampire 1e. The 1e Masquerade corebook referred to Werewolves, Mages, Ghosts, and Faeries but they were a lot less defined. The Order of Hermes from Mage: The Ascension gets named once in the book but that's because it originated in Ars Magica (which Vampire was intended to be a sequel to). I also intend to include some Lovecraftian entities as potential antagonists and you could run into cultists along the way. As I do more research on early Ars Magica, I may include more elements from that in the backdrop of the campaign.
4. The following clans are playable....
5. You can be Camarilla or Anarch for now. The Sabbat and the Independent Clans do exist but much like in 1e, they are very vague and mysterious and generally not intended for player characters.
So, would anyone be interested in this?